Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
Bobo Bonobo® Bobo Bonobo® is offline

Default How do you use your excess bell peppers?

On Aug 8, 8:37 am, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
wrote:
James dropped this groups.com:in
rec.food.cooking

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I guess my question would be how many do you have? I like to dice them
and put them in a hot wok with seasoned oil and do a stir fry with them.
Of course I add meat and other things to the stir fry. For some reason I
really like them with a course grind of black pepper.

Here is a recipe I found a awhile back. This is not a stir fry but you
could certainly use a wok. It sounds tempting with a few of my own
variations. I have yet to try it but think I'll give it a go as a side
dish this weekend. I think I'll serve it with some grilled peppered
steak.

Bell pepper rings are fried and seasoned.

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds green peppers (about 6 medium), cut into 1/4-inch rings
3 tablespoons salad oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon salt

PREPARATION:
Remove ribs from pepper rings.
Heat oil in large skillet. Add pepper rings; cook, over high heat and
stirring frequently, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with
garlic salt and salt. Serve at once.
Makes 6 to 8 servings of pepper rings.

That's pretty much what I do, but I'd specify a decent oil (peanut),
and the salt would all come from soy sauce added about a minute or two
before plating. I also use a tiny bit of msg if I'm not adding any
meat, and either add crushed red chiles just before the soy sauce, or
cayenne sprinkled on afterward.

--Bryan