Old 09-08-2007, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default How do you use your excess bell peppers?

On Aug 8, 11:26 am, James wrote:

Some how I ended up with 25 plants including extras from other
gardeners. I started Carnavil Mix seeds and got yellow, orange,
purple, and green peppers. Guess I'll leave some to turn red.

That's a lot of peppers for a home garden, especially when they don't
particularly agree with you.

Letting some of the green peppers ripen all the way to red will buy
you some time. Red ones are sweeter and may bother your stomach less,
too.

A stir fry of beef, onion, a mixture of colored peppers, a smashed
garlic clove, a pinch of cayenne, and a few tablespoons of curry paste
is a fast way to use some up. Good over steamed rice.

Or, beef or chicken, onion, peppers, and black bean and garlic sauce
for a completely different taste. (Chop 2 TB each garlic and
fermented/preserved black beans, 2 TB soy sauce, 2 TB sherry, 1/4 cup
water for a fast sauce).

We have frozen chopped bell peppers, green and red, successfully.
Liked the ones frozen raw better than those frozen after blanching.
They lose their crispiness, but not their taste.

You might try roasting/grilling a bunch of peppers and skinning the
blackened surface off, then freezing. That's the best flavor for many
dishes and I don't see why freezing them wouldn't work. Roasted
peppers are sold jarred in oil, but for home purposes freezing is
safer. -aem