Old 09-08-2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking
doofy doofy is offline

Default How do you use your excess bell peppers?

Gregory Morrow wrote:
doofy wrote:

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

On Aug 8, 8:19 am, James wrote:

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I like them stir fried in peanut oil with garlic and a little bit of
beef or a tiny pinch of msg.
I also add some crushed chilies, and right at the end, some soy sauce.

--Bryan

I can't believe someone would put msg on their own food. I spend lots
of time trying to avoid it, and make sure the chinese restaurants don't
use it. They lie a lot.

Rotsa ruck trying to avoid MSG, it's naturally ocurring in many, many
foods...even in yer Mama's (or yer girlfriend's) breast milk.

A tiny bit helps as a flavoring agent, the problem with MSG in Chinese
restos is that years ago many over - used it as a flavoring agent,
thus it's bad rap. "Accent" was a big - selling flavoring agent back
around the 60's or so, it's largely MSG. Since then we've generally
become more knowledgeable and sophisticated about flavoring enhancers
(herbs, spices,,,,), Accent is not used like it once was. IIRC you
can get the same effect of too much MSG by using too much salt...and
salt is naturally ocurring in most everything too. Just don't over -
do it...

A number of people who complain about "too much MSG" in Chinese food
are simply having a reaction to the very high levels of salt used in
some Chinese food...

Not for me. I like salt. MSG causes other odd problems.

Now they use fake foods, like autolyzed yeast extract, and possibly
modified food starch, as glutamic acid sources, without having to label
it as containing msg.