Old 09-08-2007, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Confused about compost (and tiny flies)

In article ,
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ writes:

| Dunno. Some say banana skins will not break down to compost unless
| chopped up *very* finely.
|
| Others say they're no problem.
|
| What works for you, end of the day, innit.

You have to be careful with wormeries and other fancy systems, but a
traditional heap will break down almost anything that is subject to
rot. Some things take a bit longer than others, that's all.

After beef and 'lamb' bones, avocado and peach stones are the most
resistant kitchen waste, and I compost all of them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.