Old 09-08-2007, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener cliff_the_gardener is offline

Default Confused about compost (and tiny flies)

At one of the local schools they have the up turned shuttle cock type
composters for putting their fruit waste into. It was full of flies.
The secrest it the ratio of firmer material that contains more carbon
rather than the sappy stuff - like grass. If you can get hold of
strawy material or even coarse sawdust this will help. Another trick
is to have a piece of old carpet over the surface.
The one thing this style of bin does not allow for is the contents to
be mixed. Darlac have a gadet that is a shaft with a couple of
folding "wings" that come out of it. Seems to do a reasonable job,
but can't beat getting in with a fork and turning it all over
I have a compost bin that is about 1m square. It takes all the
kitchen waste (meat scraps, citrus waste and onion skins go into a
Bokashi bin). My brother is a joiner and he gives me the contents of
his planer by the bag full. Mixed in with grass clippings their
woodyness breaks down into a usable mulch in 4 weeks.

Good luck

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire