Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Weedy Weedy is offline
Registered User

Location: Surrey

Yep, how annoying! What a waiting came. It will take a few weeks for the grass plants to germinate and then get to two or three leave stages (number of leaves showing). Not all of the grass seed sown will come up at the same time. In order of germination speed and establishment the quickest to appear are Rye Grasses, then the Fescue and Bents. Do not over seed yet as it is too early and a waste of seed. Do not let the surface crust over as the grass plants will struggle to get through. I found a web site called www.lawn.co.uk that had some great lawn forums on it. Only deals with lawns and their care. It may be useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
Hi

10 days ago i seeded a lawn (measuring 14m x 2m).

I've been keeping it moist throughout this period.

I am now getting a little worried that the new lawn is looking rather "thin". Lots of blades have germinated, which have now reached a height of 1-2 inches, but there are a vast amount of areas where there's nothing.

Some blades appear to be 2 inches apart from their neighbours. Is this right?

Do I need to reseed, or am I being impatient?

(I followed the recommended application rate for the seed - and even went a bit over)

Many Thanks for your help.