Old 02-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Jim

Default Spring In Dallas

Hi, Everyone.

I wanted to let everyone know I'm still here and have been in lurk
mode the last few months. Work, kids, and household responsibilities
have kept me busy. I'm glad to see the regulars are doing well and
still here. In addition, I would like to extend a warm welcome those
new to the group. IMO, this newsgroup is the best source for pond info
on the net.

A special "get well" to my friend, Jerri. Glad to see you're back and
sharing your wisdom. Hang in there, kiddo!

My pond and veggie filter survived the mild winter in great shape. Due
to protection from wind and close proximity to my home, the water temp
never went below 45 and pumps were left running throughout the winter
months. In fact, one lily had leaves all fall/winter and several
other plants stayed green. Leaves and mulm were kept to a minimum and
fish were not fed when the temp dropped below 50. I've done some
minor spring maintenance and started feeding MediKoi once the water
temps stayed consistently above 53 degrees. I continued this diet for
3 weeks and am now feeding hi-protein growth pellets. Spawning
activity is evident with the two Sarassas Comets, but the Koi aren't
old enough to do so. Maybe next year.

My gravel bottom pond is off to a very good start. I'll be doing both
local pond tours this year and may make one of the Houston tours. as
well. I'll be sure to take pics to share with the group. In addition,
I've added a few things to my pond and will share them soon. I'll take
some pics in the next few days and post them to the website.

Happy Ponding!

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248