Old 10-08-2007, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Need to Mulch whole garden in Autumn, but...

"AngeTheUnsure" wrote in message

Oh pleassssse help,

AngeTheUnsure;737238 Wrote:
don't know what to use! I've seen (professionally prepared) bags of
manure compost for mulching, would this be good? Or would it need to be
dug in a bit? You all know I'm a raw beginner at this, but am desparate
to succeed too. Our soil here in rural Lincolnshire is VERY Clay. We've
got one of those garden Vacuums that shread the leaves and garden twigs
etc - would that do?

AngeTheUnsure
xx

You can mulch with anything really, organic things that eventually break
down work best as they also improve the soil over time, its important to
remain patient as to begin with mulch tends to disappear quite quickly (the
worms eat it) but as the humus levels in the soil rise it will last longer.
I use in winter fresh shreddings (hedges and prunings) during the summer
grass mowings spread thinly over any bare patches. The contents of your
garden vacuum are also fine.
If I get hold of any horse muck I tend to cover it with other mulch as it
produces lots of weeds
If you are buying in there are lots of options, the NT now use composted
straw a lot, bark is good and spent hops. Don't worry too much what it looks
like as by summer it will be mostly covered by plant growth and will have
started to break down.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk