Old 10-08-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Need to Mulch whole garden in Autumn, but...

"AngeTheUnsure" wrote in message

Oh pleassssse help,

AngeTheUnsure;737238 Wrote:
don't know what to use! I've seen (professionally prepared) bags of
manure compost for mulching, would this be good? Or would it need to be
dug in a bit? You all know I'm a raw beginner at this, but am desparate
to succeed too. Our soil here in rural Lincolnshire is VERY Clay. We've
got one of those garden Vacuums that shread the leaves and garden twigs
etc - would that do?

As other have said anything that comes to hand is useful. If you have to buy
it in so be it. Depends what you want to mulch for, add organic matter, keep
weeds down, create a good tilth in the soil for spring planting etc etc.
Also, what you want to plant and when. If you simply want to leave a garden
fallow over winter most anything will do. Leave and twigs will do fine if
you have enough, grass clippings off your lawn or neighbours, back yard
compost you or neighbours (sometimes neighbours have piles they no longer
want - just check what went in it) have made, free animal poop from round
the district, spoilt straw, coffee grounds from a local cafe, vegetable
waste (cabbage, lettuces, rotted stock etc) from a local green grocer. Bung
it on the garden and leave. Even better if you can cover the mulch with old
wool carpet, fibre underlay, old woollen blankets etc. That will stop any
seeds growing that may germinate & the carpet/underlay/blankets will also
break down over winter. Leave it on the surface. Come spring it will have
nicely broken down n you will have a garden teaming with worms. If you then
want to dig it in, your choice, I never bother.

rob