Old 10-08-2007, 01:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
RichToyBox RichToyBox is offline

Default Bottom drain revisited

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I asked this before, but now that I'm SLOWLY getting closer I've got more
questions.

I haven't made too much progress over the past month, as I hurt my back
before it all got started. But Tunnel #1 is about 50% complete and I think
I've got the kinks worked out of the digging process. So I'm wondering how
I'm going to insulate the exposed drain pipe. The pipe will be about five
feet under ground before it enters the filter room and goes into the
filter. The filter room is mostly below ground and insulated on the
outside with plastic and styrofoam. But it does have a door to the outside
and is proably very close to the ambient air temperature. COLD.

So my options a

1) Put a knive valve below ground somewhere near the pond. This is
probably the best idea, but servicing could be a PITA.

2) Put an insulated box around the gate valve inside the filter room.

3) Wrap one of those electric heaters around pipe inside the filter room.

4) Put a better door on the filter room. Probably not cost effective.

Any thoughts on the least trouble free solution?

If the bottom drain line has an upward slope to the filter room, then air
could be pumped into the pipe, forcing the water back to the pond. This
will keep the cold away from the water and prevent freezing.
--
RichToyBox
Zone 7A/B Virginia