Old 10-08-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal
[email protected] neil@nwjones.demon.co.uk is offline

Default Ragwort

On 10 Aug, 17:34, judith wrote:
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:35:07 GMT, "aeshna"

wrote:

"judith" wrote in message
.. .
Have others noticed how much Ragwort there is about this year?

I have noticed loads of it round Leeds and Manchester on the motorway
verges.

I think it's time an enforcement notice was served !!

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/ragwortflr.JPG

Ragwort
Injurious Weeds and The Weeds Act 1959
Ragwort is one of five injurious weeds covered by the provisions of
The Weeds Act 1959. Ragwort is poisonous to horses, ponies, donkeys
and other livestock, and causes liver damage, which can have
potentially fatal consequences. Under the Weeds Act 1959, the
Secretary of State may serve an enforcement notice on the occupier of
land on which injurious weeds are growing, requiring the occupier to
take action to prevent the spread of injurious weeds.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/horses/topics/ragwort.htm

http://www.ragwortfacts.com/

and taken from same web site

Ragwort and the Law The Weeds Act 1959

Ragwort is mentioned in the Weeds Act 1959. This is what the Act says

"(1) Where the minister of Agriculture fish and food (in this act refered to
as ' the Minister') is satisfied that there are injurious weeds to which
this act applies growing upon any land he may serve upon the occupier of the
land a notice, to take such action as may be necessary to prevent the weeds
from spreading (2)This act applies to the following injurious weeds, that is
to say-

spear thistle

creeping or field thistle

broad leaved dock

ragwort"

It is a piece of legislation that provides for AN ORDER to be made. There is
nothing that says that you automatically MUST eliminate this plant from
land.

Did anyone say that you must? I certainly did not.
I am not sure what point you are trying to make over and above the OP.

If you read the original poster message again. You will see the piece
was copied verbatim from the website.
It is there in response to a common myth that you must control Ragwort
by law,.

You have also, in effect, stated another common myth that it poses a
serious risk on road sides.

It doesn't. Read the web links and you'll find references to the
scientific literature that shows it does not.

http://www.ragwortfacts.com
and
http://www.ragwort.jakobskruiskruid.com/

The hysteria has spread to Holland too.