Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Weeping Willow - Salix

Yes, the planting and disturbing of the non-woody roots could have caused
this especially if the tree was already stressed.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/
- -
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Kay Dolan" wrote in message

I'm new to the forum and not an expert gardener. Can anyone help explain
why a 10 year old weeping willow has died. It has been healthy and
undisturbed, but all this years new growth has died. The only
difference is this year I planted petunias around it? would that cause
a problem. We have not been flooded, nor have has it been too dry. Any
help would be appreciated though I fear too late for this tree but I
will be replacing it and would like to avoid facing the same problem.

--
Kay Dolan