Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Taxo troubles. Chaos ahead.

Kenni, I'm not even going to change *one* tag until the air clears, LOL!

Diana

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
news
IMHO, they are effectively "lost" now, because they will be so difficult
to use -- esp. for planning purposes (breeding new hybrids). I predict an
overall decrease in the number of new hybrids made -- dabblers, who have
made some really nice ones, will decide it's too much trouble -- and of
those still produced, a great increase in "trade names" like that Den.
Emma White. It isn't only Taiwan and Thailand who have begun to rebel, I
see more and more US nurseries selling unregistered hybrids, with and
without awards.

Other problems with the whole mess come up in the interaction between AOS
and RHS, and then what how Helga (if WildCatt is still around) and Alex
handle it. For example, the award on my Smbcna. (currently Ctph, last I
looked) Garnet Glory 'HCC/AOS' got dropped out of WildCatt for a couple of
years because, while RHS decided that it was a Ctph, AOS continued to list
the award as having been given to an Smbcna (or at least that's why Helga
told me it was left out, when I inquired). Alex did a better job (at
least from my point of view), but his product was not yet in wide
circulation. Others may seek awards for the personal satisfaction, but
personally, if I'm going to spend half a day dragging a plant to judging
and then pay for the award, I WANT the publicity -- to help me sell those
2000 clones ...

BTW to Diana: Apologies, I know you like your tags accurate (although
what constitutes "accurate" seems to be somewhat debatable at the moment
...), but not even for _you_ am I going to relabel 15 or 20 thousand
plants! Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I think Kenni and Danny are right. I think the RHS has been pushing to
make "Cattlya" a generic name for many years now and we hobbyists have
freaked that the hybrid registration pages would be lost. SNIP