Old 10-08-2007, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_3_] Robert[_3_] is offline

Default Ragwort Yet Again

In message . com,
" writes
Every year we get some people here who fall victim to the false
stories that are being put around about ragwort. It has just happened
again. I am copying in the text of an old posting to explain it.

DONT PULL IT UP WHERE EVER YOU SEE IT. That is likely to be AGAINST
THE LAW!

You can't usually get an enforcement order on road verges because they
are not usually agricultural land . There is no need to control it
there because it isn't usually a risk at all..

We are being told now it is dangerous to humans. I have looked at the
science behind the claims. This is just a scare story. Yes it is
poisonous. No it is not dangerous.

For for further information see the following websites.

http://www.ragwortfacts.com
and

I agree with some of what you say. I have a some common ragwort plants
in my wildlife garden area as it is a splendid food source for a very
large variety of invertebrates.

Clearly the pulling of ragwort on land not under an individuals control
is not to be encouraged but where the land is under their control there
are no restrictions. It is most definitely not a protected plant under
schedule 8 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act

A few years ago the British Horse Society sponsored a Bill primarily
aimed at controlling the spread of ragwort. Its eventual outcome was an
amendment to the 1959 Weeds Act which allowed for a 'Code of practice on
how to prevent the spread of ragwort' however even the code of practice
recognises the value of ragwort (amongst the doom and gloom) and that in
many situations it does not pose a threat to horses and livestock.

The BHS would certainly disagree with you as far as danger to horses is
concerned. You may wish to have a look at this which seems to set out
their feelings (including some somewhat OTT quotes from a Professor
Knottenbelt ! ) http://tinyurl.com/2fgm78

A really good, balanced source of information on the pros and cons of
ragwort is the Natural England/English Nature information note,
primarily aimed at farmers and land managers but very useful to anyone
interested.
http://tinyurl.com/26kwaw

--
Robert