Old 11-08-2007, 03:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
richard fiser richard fiser is offline

Default Removing small roots from lawn

jeffc wrote:
"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
No need to defend me. They wanted a way to damage their tree (and haven't
cloo how to lay/transplant sod). I wouldn't give it to them. It ****ed
them
off. Too ****in' bad (for the tree, and the sod).

If you think the way turf farms do it is actually the best way, you're nuts.
They do it the way they do it because it's practical and economically
feasible, not because it's ideal. I'm transplanting top soil as well as
dirt, to spotty areas with poor top soil. It's obvious to everyone except
the guy with a big ego investment after his blustery "contributions" to this
thread.

Actually this wasn't about turf or how much topsoil you are replacing.
It was about cutting and removing feeder roots from a healthy tree. The
one point that was never touched on was how large of an area are you
talking about and how many roots are you removing. If you are removing a
few spots, say 2 ft by 2 ft, you might get away with it. If you are
talking about removing the roots from half the canopy area, you are
looking at killing the tree.
The point is that, no matter how you do it, eventually you will have an
area of dead grass and a dead tree. But it's your grass and your tree.
Do what you like.
You don't get the answer you want, then don't ask the question. Bye bye.
I'm done with you. *Plonk*