Old 11-08-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default tap vs. filtered water, and how often?

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:02:48 -0700, JayDee wrote:
Since my indoor dracaena recently took a turn for the worst, I thought
I'd ask some basic questions before I replace it. It was healthy for
two years, except for brown at the edge of the leaves so I guess my
first question is, is that normal for a dracaena? It didn't seem to
hurt anything. I never trimmed the small bits of brown off the leaves
since virtually all of them had it (only the tips were brown, not the
sides or heart of the leaves)

What kind of a pot is it in? Does it have good drainage? If you
let the soil dry out, does the soil get a whitish or brownish crust
around the edge?

My wild guess is your plant needs repotting in good soil, with
a pot with a good drain hole. And since you say it's "taken a
turn for the worse", I'd be inclined to wash most of the soil
off the roots and repot it in a pot where the roots fill about
75% of the space. After it settles in, water by soaking the
rootball thoroughly and then let the pot drain. Feed sparingly.
When the lower leaves drop off, consider air layering if you
don't like the bare-legged look.

Kay