Old 11-08-2007, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] is offline

Default Deer fence?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"William Wagner"
wrote in message

In article

om,
wrote:

Ok, I gave up on tomatoes this year because
the deer ate them, but now they are eating my
squash plants. In the Winter they eat my pine
trees.

We have tomatoes that look like small pine
trees. Deer coupled with ground hogs and we
have the worse garden results in over 40 years.

My brother has been trapping the ground hogs
which moved into our area
last year. A new neighbor says his dad is
good with a crossbow. This guy has moose and
deer heads up on the wall.

The deer eat our phlox which I can live with
but they are also grazing
our Japanese maples we been propagating for
over 30 years

Bill

They got my "Hyperion" daylillies, trampled some
gorgeous glads, impatiens and browallia, nibbled
the green beans (through the ****ing cage!),
green pepper leaves, tomato leaves, swiss chard
etc etc. I'm putting up an 8 foot mesh fence
this weekend. I don't care how ugly it is. This
is war.

You might consider an electric wire(s). Some of
the vineyards around here use this approach; One
strand about 3 feet above ground level and one
strand about a foot above ground level. The high
one will get the deer and the low one will get
the ground hogs and racoons. Smear both strands
with peanut butter. The deer love peanut butter
and a lick or two and they won't be back.