Old 11-08-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Snakes and Bird Netting

On Aug 10, 11:12?pm, gldancer wrote:
On Aug 10, 5:14 pm, Sheldon wrote:

On Aug 10, 4:39?pm, gldancer wrote:

Today I had to cut away some bird netting from a black snake that was
entangled in it. The netting was over the top of the garden, but some
of it was on the ground and this what the snake was in. My husband
held the snake's head away from me as I cut and cut. She was finally
somewhat free from the netting, but still had three areas still
encircled by it. Not once did she try to bite, but was very patient
with me.

It finally wiggled away from us. Strong!! I hope that the rest falls
off her or I am going to have to find her to try to get the rest off.

So this is just a warning about netting left on the ground. I learned
my lesson!

What type of netting... sounds like you have the expanded polyethylene
kind like they sell in the large hardware emporiums and typical garden
nurseries, if you do get rid of it, cut it up into small bits first.

Yup, it sure was. Will never use it again. I learned my lesson. And
be assured that I well definitely cut it into small pieces. I hope
that snake sheds the remains with her skin.

Why would there be any remains, if you left even one loop of plastic
that snake may very well suffer a long painful death. Why didn't you
remove all the plastic???