Old 11-08-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Ragwort Yet Again

"Billy" wrote in message
Do you mean Stinking Billy?

It has all sorts of common and local names, I suspect since one I know is
Stinking Willy I expect yours is the same. It's also known as Stinkweed - it
doesn't really smell pleasant so that part's true :-)

It has very pretty, small, flowers with almost metallic yellow petals. If a
volunteer grows in my garden I leave it until it finishes flowering.

When I had honeybees I was afraid that its nectar might taint the honey,
because that's what I'd been taught. After harvesting honey from hives with
masses of ragwort in the next field I realised that it was yet another
beekeeping myth. As is the one about privet flowers tainting honey.

Mary