Old 11-08-2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Taxo troubles. Chaos ahead.

Louis, so if it wasn't such a big deal and any serious person would do their
research anyway then why change them in the first place? Just to make the
names align with "current" thought? We are seeing great changes in
'current' thought and there's as yet no agreement on what 'current' thought
is ... so what's the rush?

And as for unregistered hybrids, the trouble is they don't stay in the mass
market, they sneak into hybridizing efforts. There are plenty of 'unknown'
parentage in the hybrid registry, and it makes for interesting discussions
about whether a plant truly is what it purports to be. But rememeber it
limits the ability for someone to remake a cross with better parentage as
breeding lines improve if they are dealing with 'unknowns'.

K Barrett

"Louis Ablazzo" wrote in message

May I ask why changing names is such a big deal? after all, the people
who create new hybrids are supposed to do their research anyway.
Changing names wont mean hybridization becomes suddenly more difficult.
The plants are the same. I think it is very unlikely that commercial
growers and serious hobbyists suddenly will stop hybridization just
because the name of the crosses is different.

And as for the nurseries selling unregistered hybrids. it's nothing new
or a big deal after all. Those plants are marketed for mass consumption
as decorative plants. Many growers don't care about AOS awards or RHS
registration, they just want to produce as many blooming plants as they
can for valentine's, mother's day, etc. And most consumers don't care
about tags either, nor should they be required. Again I fail to see how
these changes will make any difference.

--
Louis Ablazzo