Old 11-08-2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd Kenni Judd is offline

Default Taxo troubles. Chaos ahead.

Louis: Obviously, new hybrids will continue to be made, but some percentage
of the folks who have been doing it till now are going to decide it's just
too much trouble. K's point about attempted re-makes is quite valid (take a
look at the "family tree" of Blc. Goldenzelle, for example, and then picture
it after all the name changes ...). But I think more would-be hybridizers
would rather make a *new* cross (so they can name it, or in the case of a
commercial grower, so that they can have an "exclusive," etc.). Trying to
determine that one's proposed cross does not already exist, under some name
or another, is going to be a LOT more difficult. Kenni

"Louis Ablazzo" wrote in message

Kenni Judd;738223 Wrote:
IMHO, they are effectively "lost" now, because they will be so difficult
use -- esp. for planning purposes (breeding new hybrids). I predict an

overall decrease in the number of new hybrids made -- dabblers, who
have
made some really nice ones, will decide it's too much trouble -- and of

those still produced, a great increase in "trade names" like that Den.
Emma
White. It isn't only Taiwan and Thailand who have begun to rebel, I
see
more and more US nurseries selling unregistered hybrids, with and
without
awards.

May I ask why changing names is such a big deal? after all, the people
who create new hybrids are supposed to do their research anyway.
Changing names wont mean hybridization becomes suddenly more difficult.
The plants are the same. I think it is very unlikely that commercial
growers and serious hobbyists suddenly will stop hybridization just
because the name of the crosses is different.

And as for the nurseries selling unregistered hybrids. it's nothing new
or a big deal after all. Those plants are marketed for mass consumption
as decorative plants. Many growers don't care about AOS awards or RHS
registration, they just want to produce as many blooming plants as they
can for valentine's, mother's day, etc. And most consumers don't care
about tags either, nor should they be required. Again I fail to see how
these changes will make any difference.

--
Louis Ablazzo
[/color]