Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Allen shredder & similar users help

WaltA wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:23:50 +0100, Broadback wrote:
(snips)
Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 23:30:09 GMT, WaltA wrote:
and a couple of photos :-
www.troytheblacklab.co.uk/allen

Good pics, looks brand new !
mine is almost identical except it has more rivets holding the flexi
cover on the chipper chute.
Which is of little consequence except that it has made me think :

Over the years bits (tongues) have broken off that flexi and I got a
quote from my local garden machinery man - an extortionate sum was
mentioned ( he did warn me to hold on to my hat while he made his call
to his supplier ! )
I wonder if I was quoted for the whole flexi + steel chute ??
Cos with it riveted on like that it isnt exactly a routine
maintenance/service job I suppose

I never did replace it, not much comes back out but eye protection is
still a good idea.

I have made two mods to mine,
The hand-holds on the lip of the chute are a bit severe ( for my
delicate hands and I live on a hillside !)
so I have used some bits (2 short and 1 long) of garden hose, slit
lenghtwise and slotted over the steel, to round of and make more
comfortable those handholds.

and I have removed the steel + flexi baffle partway down the chute in
front of the throat,
On the grounds that it will not prevent anyone stupid enough to put
his arm all the way in anyway, and it caused a minor restriction when
dealing with a tangle of brambles !

I think the answer to the alteration of design will be cost cutting. :-(

I fear that you are right

another question please. Supplied with mine is a piece of metal, painted
black, about 220x25x3mm, at one end is a hole, both ends hace the ends
chamfered to form a three sided end. any ideas what it is for? I cannot
see it in the parts list.

I'm sorry I cant help, I dont recall anything like that with mine.

I suppose you could drive it into the ground like a tent peg and
tether the beast to it to stop it wandering off ?
I jest only partly ! - because there is no brake on the wheels and
because I live on a hill, there is a tendency for it to go walkabout
under its own vibrations ! Chocks are needed.

Your fault Walt, no grounds for compensation there, the instructions
insist that it must only be used on level ground. ;-)