Old 12-08-2007, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default International Garden Festival

"aquachimp" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 12, 11:58 am, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

oups.com... On Aug 11,
11:39 am, aquachimp
wrote:
On Aug 11, 10:02 am, paddyenglishman
wrote:

On Aug 9, 2:51 pm, aquachimp
wrote:

Anyone visited the curiously named "International Garden
Festival"
near Portlaoise, Ireland

If you go let us know if its any good. precious few garden shows
get to hear about over here. mallow was ok

snip lots of less than good comments!
Just a thank you to those in the thread who have been to this, for
several
years we have received much glossy and very expensive stuff from them to
go
and exhibit there, it seemed very expensive to take part and research
showed
the money was from Europe not the result of a successful show, so we
declined, but you always wonder if you got it wrong - seems not :~)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwallhttp://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Holders of National collections of Clematis viticella

Did I mention the Tents.
Now when I say "tent", think over-sized airy boy scout appeal. Not a
lot going on there. Some bric-a-brac ...low quality rubbish, some
dreadfully amateurishly produced 'plants for sale'
Oh, and for a long term exhibit... did I mention the smell from the
porteloos just behind said tents.

The last time I went to one of those "garden festivals" here in Ireland, I
swore never ever ever to go to one again.
It was expensive shite.
YOu pay an exhorbitant entrance fee to have tacky bric a brac advertised at
you with a few flowers thrown in.
There used to be one enormous one every uear in the RDS in Dublin which did
admittedly have some (a handful of) good plant stalls but, again you pay a
big entrance fee and 90% of the stuff is advertising for e.g. kitchens or
double glazing. It was a high class version of the dire rural ones but
still not really worth going back to.
The single best one by far that I did go to was the annual "rare plants"
fair which is usually in some obscure place down the country but one year
was in Farmleigh Estate in Dublin and there were huge crowds which was
off-putting but it was completely free and 80% of the stalls were nurseries
selling plants and there were lots and lots of them. That was great fun and
the nurseries seemed to sell everything they had. If you ever get tempted
to go to one, it is worth it and most of the exhibitors actually deal with
real plants and like them.

Des in Dublin