Old 13-08-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default How to make lawn greener?

"tenplay" wrote in message
. ..
We are planning on putting our house on the market in 3-4 weeks. The large
lawn needs some work to improve its looks. The front lawn is thick and free
of weeds. But even with frequent watering, it is looking brownish-yellow in a
few areas. Maybe it needs some fertilizer. If so, what kind would be best?

Our back lawn is green enough. But in areas that we replanted grass a couple
of months ago, a lot of weeds (look like small dandelions) have appeared. Is
there some type of treatment that would take care of the weeds quickly?

We live in Western Washington near Olympia. The weather has been very mild
with highs in the mid-70s and lows in the mid-50's, partially cloudy with only
occasional showers. Thanks for any advice.

Apply a high nitrogen fertilizer and water it in well. You could use a
weed-n-feed type (don't water for a few days) where the weeds are, spot spray
with something like weed-b-gon, or just spend a couple hours plucking them, They
pull out relatively easy when small. Applying lime will likely help since soils
tend to be acidic here. Grass can't use the nitrogen well if the soil is too
acidic. Fertilize soon, and you might have good results in a few weeks.

Mow it long and it will look greener quicker, and will need less water.

Bob