Old 02-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Brian Vogel

Default Encyclia Cordigera - Problem with bloom spike

Hello All,

It's been "long time, no post" for me to
this newsgroup or any other. Now that I'm beginning
to get settled into a new job, home, etc. I hope
to have some more time to get involved again.

My collection has been expanding, and the
"Subject" line is one of the plants I've acquired
over the last few months.

It is growing in a west window atop a humidity
tray, sitting on a grid several inches above the water.
The bloom spike was already started when I bought it
and has developed for 3 months or so. It has had some
very sticky drops at the various upper nodes and buds
during that time.

Now it is beginning to have what I thought would
be blooms "unstick/peel" away from the stalk. The problem
is that the bottom 4 have simply dried up within a day or
two of separating out from the stalk.

Is this normal or a sign of some serious trouble?
The plant itself seems very happy and the upper end of
the spike, which looks to contain 6 or 7 more buds, is
still green, covered in sticky "dew", and happy as well.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Brian