Old 13-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default rust spots on my pear tree

Hi, first time I'v 'posted', and i need your help! Moved into our new
house three weeks ago, has a large established garden, and we dont know
anything about gardening, so i will be picking your brains quite often.
But the thing i am worried about at the moment is, we have a pear tree
and all of its leaves are coverd with rust spots. does this mean that
the tree has to come down? should i call a tree surgen? can they be
trusted to give me the correct advice? The pear tree is close to other
trees, hedges & rose bushes which are not affected. Any advice? Thanks

There are a couple of possibilities: one is a rust fungus, the other is a
mite. No, don't take the tree down. Mostly it's a cosmetic issue for
most home gardeners, but if you don't mind spraying and/or removing
the alternate hosts of the rust fungus, you can keep it damped down
nicely most years.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r603400611.html
http://web1.msue.msu.edu/vanburen/fprmite.htm
https://www.rhs.org.uk/ advice/profiles1001/pear_rust.asp
http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/d...m?RecordID=805
http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/d...m?RecordID=811
http://ipm.osu.edu/element/pear.htm

I just trim rusted pears with a paring knife... that's my control. g

Kay