Old 12-08-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Spindle Tree

dafs writes
Sorry if this OT for gardening, but we have two spindle trees which my
husband struck from cuttings from a woodland spindle about seven or
eight years ago. They have never fruited, but this year there is just
one green berry, which I hope will burst into the glorious spindle
berry colours later in the year.

Has anyone else had experience of growing spindles, and is it likely
that this could be the start of something big, with lots more berries
from now on?

Dunno. But mine have had several years of setting no more than three
berries which have all fallen off before ripening. This year there are
dozens, but quite a heavy fall, so whether any will ripen, I don't know.

But growing spindle on slightly acid clay is probably asking a bit much
of it anyway. ;-)
--
Kay