Old 02-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Cooked my venus fly trap...

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:06 +0000 (GMT), Steve Harris wrote:

Er, I thought they were frost-tender?

North Carolina, where the V.f.tr. is native to sphagnum bogs, can
get some pretty cold winter weather. I don't know just *how*
hardy they are, but they're definitely on the hardy side of the
tender-hardy line. [I hope that makes sense -- possibly, I've
just written one of the least meaningful sentences ever to
ornament urg.]

Under natural conditions, they go dormant for the winter, dying
back to not very much at all.

Still, if I lived in Ottawa, Ontario (winter temperatures -30F
are common) I would not risk a V.f.tr. outside.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada