Old 13-08-2007, 01:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Soil test help

On Aug 12, 10:29 pm, KC wrote:
On Aug 12, 3:55 pm, "Danny Noonan" wrote:

Here are the results of my lawn soil test. Can you recommend soil
amendments or treatments? Have rye, fescue and bluegrass in central CT.
TIA.

PH 6.0 (plan to add lime)
Nitrogen - Very Low
Phosphorous - High
Potash - Low

Lime now and 15-0-15 fertilizer next spring.

KC

Why wait till Spring to fertilize? Fall is an excellent time to apply
ferilizer and will give you a nice green lawn to look at even in
winter. You need a fertilizer with Nitrogen, and Potash and little
or no Phospate. On the bag, fertilizer is listed as percentages of
NPK, ie X-X-X. Over the season, you want to apply to each 1000 sq
ft:

3 - 4lbs N nitrogen
0 P phosphate
3 - 3.5 K potash

So, if you find a 40 lb bag marked 15-0-15, it contains 6 lbs of N and
6lbs of K, which is enough for 2000 sq ft for the season. I would
apply it divided in 3 applications, one in early Sept, one in late
Oct, one in late Mar/early April. The limestone can be put down
anytime.

To find the right fertilizer, you may need to go to a pro turn product
supplier, like Lesco, as the home centers usually have more balanced
products.