Old 13-08-2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.great-lakes,alt.forestry
Geoff-consulting forester in the US[_2_] Geoff-consulting forester in the US[_2_] is offline

Default Effective method to prevent emerald ash borer

I have to admit, Pat it was tough even seeing your post in this giant
pile of insults, but I found it and I'll answer your questions about EAB.
See my comments below (some snipped):

Locally, the initial symtoms of what was called at first (if I remember
correctly) 'ash decline' was noticed for several years before trees
started dying in vast numbers.

-Pest and Pathogen scientists typically call severe undiagnosed health
problems in trees "decline". It's a general term for not being able to
diagnose exactly what is killing a tree.

It is sometimes quite a chore to figure out what is killing a tree or
trees as there are literally THOUSANDS of potential pathogens, any of
which could be affecting the tree either alone or in combination. We
(foresters) know when we get out in a Beech/Maple forest for example
when we see a Sugar maple with a target canker on it, it is probably
caused by a Nectria genus fungi, but to place a species on it might be
tough, since there are many species in that genus of fungi that could
cause a canker. The only reason we know of the problem is that someone
has taken the time to study it (in a lab) and the study was well
documented and known and the disease is common enough to see in the
forest.

In most cases, the diseases, insects or other pathogens have been
studied, but the amount of time to research the specie(s) of pathogen
affecting most single plants is often more costly than simply replacing
the plants (in a landscape situation).

In an urban setting, trees have a higher value (landscape value) than do
timber trees (at least typically they do), so more time (and $) can be
spent taking care of them.

Luckily, someone was smart enough to notice unusual galleries in the
White and Green ash trees and notice that it wasn't a previously known
occurring pest. There are actually gov't people who are doing something
for your money!

If you knew what was lurking in Asia (and to Europe to some extent)
ready to come over on the boat to set up a "lunch plan" over here in
America, you would be amazed - most people would want significant trade
barriers up - but would they stop shopping at wal-mart? I think not...

Our latest problem is the Sirex wood wasp (also in NY, PA, and Ontario),
which is a pest to "hard pines" like Austrian, Jack, Red and Scotch
pines. The Red and Jack pines are obvious "problem" targets, as those
are the only indigenous species of hard pines here, and they are worth
collectively MANY times what the other two species are worth (from both
a timber and ecologically important roles - A small example: Kirtland
Warbler, a transmigratory bird depends on scrubby Jack pine fields for
it's nesting habitat in the Grayling area).

We seriously hope it won't be as much of a problem as EAB is!

I actually had one (the first live beetle I'd seen) tucked under the
the windshield wiper on my car. I sure hope they don't normally
ride around that way.

That is exactly how they get vectored. Windshield wipers, under the
body, frame, wheels, etc. Firewood is a larger problem yet, since there
can be larva underneath the bark and they can emerge in different locations.

Do you have much trouble getting property owners to eliminate
host trees?

No, but I'm a private forester - Not a gov't guy. Landowners depend on
my decisions, not the other way around...

Generally, my advice is to hold off on cutting Ash trees that aren't
ready to be cut. There is no sense just cutting trees "in case".
Seriously, it's a bit ridiculous - but that's the way some loggers (and
wood pimps) are trying to market (scare) landowners into cutting trees.

And in areas the EAB has run rampant over, can they survive
at a low level on the basal shoots that ash trees put out?

I don't know, but I suspect the answer is no - unless the bugs waited
around until those shoots got large enough to produce bark thick enough
to make a habitat for them again (10-15 years or so) - but they would
have to do that by feeding on current ash trees within a 2 mile radius
(max) or so.

I know that there
are many skeletal ash trees (especially along freeways* and in woodlots)
that are still standing and some still send up new shoots.

*I suppose the excuse for this is lack of funds...

Yeah, the streets of Michigan Center, Michigan had dead Ash standing
along the street the last time I was down there. It's horrible looking,
but money is tight right now for nearly everybody in our state, public
and private sectors.

Actually, lack of funds is a *valid reason* for the lack of further
forced EAB extermination (believe me, the state burros will waste every
damned red cent that they could get their greedy hands on, since they
are clueless on where the money came from or held value to the previous
holder anyway).

There are still quarantines on hauling wood between counties, etc.
There are also checkpoints, but whether the transportation of wood is
enforced or not is anyone's guess. I could find out just by calling
around to some mills, etc. I suspect record auditing is going on, but
unsure.

My responsibility ends outside my client's boundaries (since I always
stay within them).

We have to do as much as possible to stop the vectoring of these
critters into other areas that contain host trees.

EAB has brought Ash timber prices to record lows (relative to the
strength of the dollar) during the last 5 years - and has had other
indirect impacts toward the legislative process as well.

It's a whole lot better if we can educate people to understand how to
eliminate this critter - but it takes everyone's involvement.

Not every green bug is an EAB, but if you're absolutely sure the one you
see is, please squash him a.s.a.p.