Old 13-08-2007, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Travis Travis is offline

Default The case for making an informed choice

echinosum wrote:
Travis;738007 Wrote:
Do those "most respected bamboo sellers" have names?

OP is in the UK, where it is common for phyllostachys to be falsely
described as a clumper, even by respected television/radio gardeners.
Several of the more popular phyllostachys species are not very rampant
in the UK, but they are still runners and will run eventually. I would
name Jungle Giants, Hardy Bamboos and The Palm Centre, as respected
bamboo sellers who use the word "clumping" in relation to
Phyllostachys, (even though the second of these is run by a man who
wrote a book making quite clear the true situation). In terms of
accurate advice (when selling) I would name Pan-Global Plants of
Frampton upon Severn, and Whitelea Nurseries, alias UK-bamboos.co.uk

I have sent all 3 you mentioned an email asking why they call runners
clumping.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington