Old 13-08-2007, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Hedge Hog question.

On Aug 13, 10:57 pm, "Brian Watson" wrote:
"aquachimp" wrote in message

ups.com...

1)
Can / would a hedge hog use a cat-flap

Yes, I'm sure one could.

I encountered one of the little blokes while we were both out for a walk the
other night and it had no problem scaling quite a steep kerb at a run.

Interesting. My query was not so much about whether it can be trained
to do so, but whether it, (rather than say, mice) might be the secret
midnight cat-food scoffer.
BTW I doubt mice... most unlikely given the antics of the cats on that
point. But the cat flap is a good 10 metres from the food place and
technically, in a different room too.

2)
If we allow it to continue on the cat food, will that be bad for it?

I don't think the hedgehog will complain! It might get a bit overweight, but
that might resolve your catflap question.

Custom made flap for a rather large big-boned moggie. (high and wide-
ish)The hedgehog would have to be very, very big (7kg+)

:-)

3)
If not bad for it, if we put some food out for it (we would like to
keep it and maybe the bribery would help), will it not bother with
slugs and snail anymore?

I am reminded of an NF Simpson play in which a well-meaning family offered
their left-overs to a neighbour, only to find her appetite was so great that
they had to buy more food so as to have enough left-overs to keep up with
her.

Let the little blighter eat slugs and snails, I say.

Ah, but according to one of those links that Jenny C posted, only 5%
of their diet consists of s/s and they'll only eat them when faced
with starvation and on top of that, the s/s are like carriers or
somefink of a hedgehog lung disease.

But I have noticed beetle munching have stopped entirely (-:

--
Brian