Old 14-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Mature palm care - Which bits to prune / lop

I have a couple of Palm trees of unknown variety, and this year they
have sprouted extra kind of branches at the tops with what looks like
to be hundreds of berries. My question is this, do I need to lop these
new-ish branches off as they are starting to sag and making the palms
look untidy? I have already cut the dead leaves from the bottom of the
palms. Any help would be greatfully recieved. Many Thanks

First thing to do is ID the palms... are they feather palms or fan palms
(pinnate or palmate)? Indoors or outdoors?

For instance, Washingtonia filifera, native palm of S. California,
should have a "grass skirt" of old fronds:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=WAFI.

Starter help:
http://www.palmsociety.org/

Another thought: perhaps you've got a cycad instead of a palm:
http://www.cycad.org/Photo-Gallery.htm
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...ebomboensis_-_
Lebombo_cycad_-_desc-fruiting_stalk.jpg

These gymnosperms often look like a palm to non-botanists, but are
about as closely related to palms as apples are to pine trees.

When you figure out what you've got, we can better help.

Kay