Old 02-04-2003, 06:56 AM
Pam

Default when is it time to trim a hedge?

TakeThisOut wrote:

Pam wrote in message

Dawn, there are tons of shrubs that change color in winter. Does this one

hold
its leaves all winter or does it drop them? Flowers? Berries?

It goes bare in the winter. The branches slap on my window when it
gets windy. I don't recall seeing any berries or flowers. It must
reproduce somehow, but it's nothing memorable.

The leaves are solid dark green. They are 2-3 inches long and I
remember them being kind of oval, not long and thin. I think they have
pointed tips, but I can't find any dried ones in the flowerbed under
it right now, just leaves from our silver maple. I can see the leaf
buds coming in on the branches in pairs, rotating around each branch,
about 2 inches apart.

Dawn

Sounds like burning bush...

I agree - Euonymus alatus, aka burning bush. You can confirm by looking at the
branches. They will have small fins or wings growing along the sides, giving
rise to another name of winged euonymus. If this is the case, go ahead and whack
away :-)) This shrub takes hard pruning like a trooper and now is an ideal time
to do it.

pam - gardengal