Old 02-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Pam

Default Cats again

Albert Fiantaca wrote:

Hi

It's springtime. The garden soil is soft and has been turned once. The
gang of neighborhood cats have decided that my vegetable garden plot is
the place to crap in. It stinks to the heavens and I particularly don't
want it where I grow food. I have to search out the spot where they
their bury it and dig it out to dispose of it. What can I do to put a
stop to this? No, I can't shoot them. Poison is out, I have a dog, and
young children around.

Thanks, Al

The only sure thing I have found to keep cats out your beds is to cover
them (the beds, not the cats!) with crumpled chicken wire. Cheap, easy to
mold to shape, lightweight and with large enough openings so seedlings can
poke through. Make sure it is crumpled a bit - flat chicken wire doesn't
seem to have the same powers of deterrence. Once seedlings have emerged to
a reasonable size, you can use the wire as a sort of tented mulch to
protect the surrounding soil.

I haven't described this well - too tired - but I hope you get the picture.
:-)

pam - gardengal