Old 14-08-2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Lawns after Rhododendron removal

Do you have trees with their root zones in this area?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Bosseye" wrote in message

Hi,
Have just (mechanically) cleared 0.25 acres of old and impenetrable
rododendron, and having removed the roots, will rotovate and overlay
with 6" of soil/sand/loam mix before laying a new lawn.

However, I'm expecting some potential problems:

First, I'm aware that the rhododendron is toxic to other plants, and
I'm trying to understand what may not be plantable in the reclaimed
land (ie. lawn, laurel, fruit trees etc). And also what might be done
to neutralise this effect.

Second, I'm aware that there is likely to be rhododendron seeds left in
the ground, which will doubtless sprout. Will glyphosate neutral these,
or do I require something different, and will that be fine to seed lawn
in mid September.

Any help appreciated.
Kind regards,
David.