Old 15-08-2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Dave Dave is offline

Default Rocks on top of a plant pot

"JS" wrote in message
. ..
I would like to ask the experts in the forum.
I live in Dallas, TX area where strong wind
and/or thunder storm is very common.
In order to keep my backyard tree pots
from being blown away by the strong wind,
I put rocks (draining type) to make the pots
heavier, that way they can withstand the
strong wind.
Is this OK? am I not going to cause any harm
to the trees (mainly Plumeria and some fruit trees)

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

Pots/planters for trees in general are either straight up or of a generally
inverted triangular shape with point cut off. Allowing some distance to
top, putting rocks near the top make them top heavy. This prevents some
lateral movement, does nothing for toppling over. Gravel or similar rocks
are better off on the bottom to help prevent toppling over.

There is a simple solution, but, seeing your response on someone that
dallied from your venue, I won't discuss it.
Dave