Old 15-08-2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default While Rome burns ethanol....

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
cat daddy wrote:
Let 'em eat powdered cellulose...

Prices for key foods are rising sharply
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/18902.html

"Meeting with economic writers last week, President Bush dismissed
several polls that show Americans are down on the economy. He expressed
surprise that inflation is one of the stated concerns.

“They cite inflation?” Bush asked, adding that, “I happen to believe the

war
has clouded a lot of people's sense of optimism.”

But the inflation numbers reveal the extent to which lower- and
middle-income Americans are being pinched.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said in its June inflation report that

egg
prices are 19.5 percent higher than they were in June 2006. Over the

same
period, according to the department’s consumer price index, whole milk

was
up 13.3 percent; fresh chicken 10 percent; navel oranges 19.8 percent;
apples 11.7 percent. Dried beans were up 11.5 percent, and white bread

just
missed double-digit growth, rising by 9.6 percent.

These numbers get lost in the broader inflation rate for all goods and
services, which measured 2.7 for the same 12-month period. Across the
economy, rising food prices were offset by falling prices for things

bought
at the mall: computers, cameras, clothing and shoes."

Anyone got a recipe for boiled shoe soup?

sarcastic on

1 stock pot of boiling water,
1 pair of well-worn shoes(the more worn, the more tender)
mud or manure & gummit lies for flavoring
Several shoe strings

Pound shoes with mallet to make tender, cut shoes, strings, & lies into
bite size pieces. Add to pot with the mud &/or manure.

You know you can chew awhile on the gummit lies along with the
rubber....should be *very* filling..........

Enjoy!

sarcastic off

Why, thank you, m'dear...... Sounds yummy and delicious. And,
nourishing. I've heard "shoe au cowpuckey" is considered a delicacy
somewhere far off...

Later regarding his war, Bush was heard to speechify that it might be
just the hunger that's clouding some people's optimism for the war. "You
see, I are, uh, ur, Amurican and I ain't hungery, so I happen to don't
believe 'em."
Waving, Bush boarded Air Force One for his remaining 18 months of
vacation time.

Hmmm.. Shame on everyone for those horrible recipes. Not a single recipe
that has a dash of salt. Salt makes everything taste better and that
should include leather!

Enjoy Life ..... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.