Old 02-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Rachel Sullivan

Default Will my clematis sieboldii survive?

unsure of attributions, so snipped 'em

What I'd love to know is how to get a bog standard C Balearica to flower.
But as you said, it's unpredictable!
I've had one three years now, bought from Taylors Clematis nursery, it's
about 10' long (if I unwind it from the trellis) and is still refusing to
bud. I asked at BBC GW last year (Nat clematis soc) what to do and they
said feed it with phostrogen. I did, but again nothing this winter.

Go the opposite way and starve it! The cirrhosa's come from the
Mediterranean & Southern Europe where they grow wild. I imagine they
must grow naturally in quite poor soil with good drainage - no standing
in water in winter and no deluges on a regular basis as in England.

I don't imagine they get fed with phostrogen either, so try giving it
nothing for a while.

I also
had this problem with C tangutica. Same solution, same sheltered
south-facing fence, and it flowered it's hat off.

*sigh*

Ah, but tangutica is different ... but still doesn't like too much rich
living & prefers a drier site ... usually ...

Funny things, clematis ...

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site