Old 15-08-2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Travis Travis is offline

Default The case for making an informed choice

echinosum wrote:
Travis;738945 Wrote:
I have sent all 3 you mentioned an email asking why they call runners
clumping.

If you get a reply, they will say, glibly, something like "because they
are effectively clumping in UK conditions" or "because it assists our
customers to understand they are not difficult invasive plants like
sasa palmata". And carry on. They may even call in their defence the TV
personality gardeners who call them clumping. The real, unspoken,
answers are "because we want to sell them, and we think that calling
them 'running' would frighten off the customers", and "clumping is not
a scientific term like pachymorphic, so I won't get done by trading
standards for misusing it".

I'm not defending them. I think it's shabby.

I have not heard from a single one of them.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington