Old 16-08-2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Kingdon Jim Kingdon is offline

Default Mixing rose-of-sharon, redtwig dogwood, peve minaret

I intend on planting three Blue Satin rose of sharons in my back yard.
Drainage can sometimes be an issue, however, so I was thinking of adding
some mositure-loving redtwig dogwoods and peve minarets to the mix.

Have you lost your mind... rose of sharon is extremely invasive... its
seeds sprout everywhere, by the billions... your neighbors will hate
your guts, you'll hate your guts.

I don't know if it has been quite *that* bad for us, but yes, our
experience is that Rose of Sharon (the hibiscus) does spread beyond
where you plant it (I always thought this was by underground runners
but I guess I can't prove whether it was that or seeds since it all
happened before we bought the house). This is zone 7, I'm not sure
whether it is as true in zone 5.

Redtwig dogwood is, I have read, somewhat the same deal, in the sense
that it sends up lots of new shoots (and the recommendation, I think,
was to prune back many of the old ones - I think for the best red twig
color).

So I'd be kind of amused to watch those two fight it out.

The trunk of the Baldcypress 'Peve Minaret' will stay where it is
planted although if it is happy/old it will send up "knees" (growths from
the roots).