Old 16-08-2007, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Brandywine tomatoes

Charlie wrote in message
news
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:07:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves
look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

Aren't they beautiful, as well? So meaty. Few finer. Welcome to the
world of *great* tasting tomatoes.

Hybrids cannot come close to the taste of the heirlooms, IMNSHO.

Next year, plant more of them, if you have the space. Some years are
better than others. Last year, the Old Germans, (great taste at the
other end of the spectrum) produced few. This year, I am nearly tired
of eating them.....great breakfast tomato, though. Sausage, eggs,
toast and maters'.....heaven.

Care
Charlie

I'm gonna go nuts with them next year. This year was discouraging until two
days ago, when I finally put up a wire fence to stop the deer. It's ugly as
hell, but I don't care. It works. Stepped outside around midmight last night
and there were 5 of the *******s standing there with a "What happened?" look
on their faces. The fence is 10 feet high.

Heh.