Old 17-08-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default After the pines?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I had 7 large pines removed because they were shading the plot for my
future vegetable garden and because they had lost most of the needles
from the lower third of the trees. I couldn't bring myself to pay an
additional small fortune to grind the stumps, so they were cut off
flush with the ground. I would like to plant a mixed shrub border in
this spot to provide some visual interest as well as a low windbreak.
Will I be able to get anything to grow here with the remains of the
pine roots still in place? Since the trees are gone they will
obviously not be competing with the new plants for water or nutrients,

water and essential elements

You will probally have root decay fungi with the pine roots when their
energy runs out. As long as your new plants are healthy that should not be
a problem. Also here is planting suggestions.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

proper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

proper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

proper Pruning woody plants when the time comes
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

- -
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.