Old 17-08-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Brandywine tomatoes

"KarenCannoli" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves
look like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next
to it is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

This is one of our mandatory 'matoes; the others are Black Krim, Sungold
(cherry)
and Green Zebra.
For us, the heirlooms have been good producers this year. We only have one
hybrid this
year and it's not doing that well (Early Girl).
CareWren--drying tomatoes and making sauce today

I stumbled across Brandywine by pure chance. I was too busy to start many of
my own seeds this year, and I figured it would be easy to find plenty of
varieties at the nurseries. I happened to be at Home Despot, where I
normally won't buy plants. But, some employee must've accidentally taken
great care of the tomato plants. The Brandywines were in great shape.

The employee's probably been lobotomized and fired by now, so he/she won't
attempt to teach other employees how to take care of plants.