Old 17-08-2007, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Mixing rose-of-sharon, redtwig dogwood, peve minaret

Sheldon expounded:

At my previous address my neighbor had six rose of sharon bushes right
up against their fence, in fact they hung over the fence. Those
miserable seeds would fall onto my nice lawn and sprout, those things
have powerful long roots. After a few years of tolerating the mess I
decided to get rid of those bushes. Over one summer about once every
two weeks I'd spray those bushes with a very dilute solution of Round
Up. Those horrible plants ever so slowly shriveled up and died. The
neighbors never spoke to me about it... of course I never told them I
hated those stupid bushes.

Instead of talking to the neighbor about it, you killed his shrubs
with poison. Oh yea, that's the way to do things.

Go ahead and plant them, you've been warned.

And you've been told that not everyone has the same problems with rose
of sharon. I am sure, however, that everyone would have a problem
with you as a neighbor!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts