Old 17-08-2007, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default To use membrane or not?

I'm laying a gravelled area over existing soil next week - when we moved
here, there was rather an abundance of weeds (ground elder iirc)
scattered over the existing gravelled area.
I didnt realise, until I'd started clearing it, that there was already a
thick black plastic sheet lying on the soil. The weeds had an extensive
root network, that was directly below the plastic sheet - some roots
were 3 feet long, with the majority above the soil, but below the
plastic.

Now I am going to relay the gravelled area, with a deeper gravel cover.
Do I liberally coat the area with Sodium Chlorate weedkiler (then do it
again every 4-6 months), or should I buy one of the black netting type
membranes that are currently available?

The membrane is £40 for the area needed, 2 years of weedkiller is £12.
If the membrane is a waste of time, like the last one, then there is no
point spending the extra to put it down under the gravel.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Alan.