Old 17-08-2007, 04:27 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Foobar Foobar is offline

Default HELP...grass problems!

On 2007-08-09, Matt wrote:

Ill try to make this as short as possible. I live in garner, just
inside the johnston county line. I have the most hardest, roughest,
crapiest clay soil known to this area. I have 2 problems that I would
like to address. Problem 1, the contractor used a contractors mix on
mylawnabout 4 years ago when I bought the place and it had a
abundance of bahia grass seed mixed in. PLEASE help me make this go
away with ripping up my whole yard and starting over and heres why:
Ive got about 40% of mylawncovered in centipede that i want to keep
since I do not have a whole lot of shade. I have alot of bare spots
and I am thinking of overseeding this fall with Southern Gold. Has
anyone ever used this seed? I want something to cover up the weeds and
bare spots while my centipede continues to take over over the years. I
will only concentrate on fertilizing and taking care of the centipede
and the Southern gold will only be there for looks for now. So, my 2
questions a 1. How to get rid of bahia grass and 2. Does anyone
have experience with Southern gold. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Anywhere you have centipede and bahia interspersed you will probably
have to kill both and start over. If you have areas with just centipede
then you can save it.

Roundup is probably the cheapest, but as Chris suggested there may be
better herbicides for bahia, but I suspect ALL of them will take out the
centipede as well.

You will need to make repeated applications to kill it all so start now
while it is growing. By fall seed with the cheapestfescueto tide you
over the winter. Resod or plug next year with centipede.

for small areas of bahia I have heard of people "wiping". It generally
grows higher than other grasses to the trick is to let it get higher and
then use a wicking weed wiper to put a strong solution of roundup on it.
If you google weed wiper you should find some or you might be able to
make your own from wicking. I looked it up a while back, but the
specifics have excaped me. You make the roundup much stronger than
normal. I think maybe 1 to 10 - regular mix is like 1 to 40
All roundup is not equal. The Pro is 41% which is the strongest I have
seen. Some as as low as 18%, mainly because they can price it lower.

You can get 41% generic roundup from Agrisupply for like 45$ per 2.5
gallons.

If you google bahia grass control you will get a wealth of info. Bad
news it propagates by rhizomes and seed.
Good luck.

is a garbage address.- Hide quoted text -

Clay soil is not the problem. Clay soil is very rich in nutrients. I
will take clay over sand any day.

It does require lots of effort. And I mean lots. How large is the
lawn and what is your budget? Do you have an irrigation system?

Bahia is a warm season grass as is Centipede. You cannot kill one
without killing the other. All things being equal, the Bahia grass
will probably win, until taken over by Bermuda. Southern Gold is
Fesue (cool season grass - Fescue).

The problem with overseeding is that you will have to plant the Fescue
in the Fall when the Centipede is or wants to be dormant.
Establishing new turf requires time and alot of effort. The new seed
will need to be watered several times daily to ensure that it doesn't
dry out after germination.

Have you considered annual ryegrass?