Old 17-08-2007, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Growing Cabbages (and Sprouts, and Cauliflowers)

"John Vanini" wrote in message
A couple of years ago, I saw a man who was growing beautiful cabbages on
his allotment. Seeing that the cabbages he was growing this year looked
equally as good, my curiosity finally overcame me and I asked him how he
grew him. What he told me, I, now, pass on to those interested.

There may be many on this newsgroup who already do the same or have an
even better method and that would be interesting to gear about.

I would welcome comments and suggestions (all polite, of course!) as I
intend to do this with my cabbages this winter and, if successful, next
spring.

He digs a hole deep enough for the cabbage and stirs in a small handful of
lime - the young cabbage plant is then planted as normal.

He cuts a length of 8" from a standard rainwater down-pipe (about 2 1/2""
dia).

This he gently threads over the cabbage, pushing the pipe about half-way
into the soil.

Finally he pours into the tube another small handful of lime and tops the
whole thing up with water.

His cabbages are always a good size but are as steady as a rock in the
ground, with a thick stem/stalk and he claims that that is the reason for
the quality of his cabbages -they don't rock in the wind. He also waters
via the pipe which he says ensures that the water goes where it's needed.

He uses the same method for his sprouts, cauliflowers, and sprouting
broccoli.

Would this method do away with the need for cabbage collars - because of
the depth of the pipe in the ground acting as a barrier to the cabbage
root fly larvae?

What about slugs?

Mary