Old 17-08-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default How to remove tree stumps

Other than making a planter (dangerous chain saw work) you could drill some
holes and place N fertilizer in the holes. Add some water. The N
fertilizer will stimulate the decay fungi and speed up the breakdown
process. We do have stump grinders now. I guess you just would have to be
careful not to hit the rod with the stump grinder.

The N fertilizer has a bad side and that is that it can pollute ground
water.

The planter idea is great. We call it ecoart.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"dashaddow" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a poplar tree with a metal rod in it (for support when it was a
small tree). I cut it down, the stump is 7 feet tall. How can I cut
the rest of it down, with the metal in it. The diameter would probably
be 3 feet. Thank you. (Can't burn it; live in a city. ) Please
contact me if you have some creative ideas.