Old 18-08-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
arkienurse[_2_] arkienurse[_2_] is offline

Default Mixing rose-of-sharon, redtwig dogwood, peve minaret

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 16, 8:06?pm, "arkienurse" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 16, 12:44?am, "Stuart E. Weiner" wrote:
I intend on planting three Blue Satin rose of sharons in my back yard.
Drainage can sometimes be an issue, however, so I was thinking of
adding
some mositure-loving redtwig dogwoods and peve minarets to the mix.
I'd
appreciate any thoughts on this, including placement suggestions. I
have a fairly large corner to work with, entirely in the sun, zone 5.

Thanks.

Have you lost your mind... rose of sharon is extremely invasive... its
seeds sprout everywhere, by the billions... your neighbors will hate
your guts, you'll hate your guts.

Rose of Sharon is the same as Althea Bush, right? I told my family I was
planning to plant some of the seed I harvested from mine, and my aunt, 86
years old, said she had never heard of the seed sprouting. ??? Kinda
disappointed me to hear this, perhaps she thinks any sprouts that come up
around the root are not from seeds, but from roots???? We all live in
southern Arkansas if that makes a difference.

At my previous address my neighbor had six rose of sharon bushes right
up against their fence, in fact they hung over the fence. Those
miserable seeds would fall onto my nice lawn and sprout, those things
have powerful long roots. After a few years of tolerating the mess I
decided to get rid of those bushes. Over one summer about once every
two weeks I'd spray those bushes with a very dilute solution of Round
Up. Those horrible plants ever so slowly shriveled up and died. The
neighbors never spoke to me about it... of course I never told them I
hated those stupid bushes.

Go ahead and plant them, you've been warned.

I already have them, 2 on the north side of my house, one around the back,
and a tiny one in my front yard by the road. They were here when I moved
into this house, 10 years ago. I have NEVER had a sprout come up around
them ANYWHERE, hence my surprise to hear they were the worst parasites, and
easily spread. I thought it was hard to spread.
And I don't care for lawns. I like to see flowers and plants, could care
less about what type of groundcovering I have. I get that from my grandma.
She had so many plants and bushes in her yard that we just mowed the paths
around them.